[Webteam] Re: Notice about the etoys license

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Mon Nov 10 20:45:50 UTC 2008

Hi!

Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> I did it: http://squeak.org/SqueakLicense/

"Quite a few people have visited this page looking for the Etoys
license, due to continuing discussion of distribution of Etoys in a few
Linux distributions. Etoys 4, as is distributed with Sugar and the One
Laptop Per Child, is a derived, but separate project from squeak as it
is distributed from this website.

Etoys 4 is no longer distributed under the license listed on this page.
Its licensing terms are described at Viewpoints Research Institute, who
holds the copyright for Squeak and Etoys"

Ehm... that text is not CLEAR, let me propose some small changes:

"Quite a few people have visited this page looking for the Etoys
license, due to continuing discussion of distribution of Etoys in a few
Linux distributions. Etoys 4, as distributed with Sugar and the One
Laptop Per Child, is a derived but separate project from Squeak, which
is distributed from this website.

Etoys 4 is no longer distributed under the license listed on this page.
Its licensing terms are described at Viewpoints Research Institute, who
holds the copyright for Etoys 4."

The devil is in the details. :) I changed only the 2nd and the last
sentence. And I am NOT sure that VPRI "holds the copyright for Etoys 4"
- can someone verify that?

regards, Göran