First Debugger was: Re: [Webteam] Thinking out loud about Aida and Scribo

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jun 20 19:44:46 UTC 2012

On 20. 06. 2012 21:28, Herbert König wrote:
> I think you're up against the big issue here: getting Scribo to work in
> Squeak, as Aida 6.4 does. This is a developer's issue and I'm hoping
> Janko will assist with this.
>
> oh, it's nott hat bad my first debugger seems to point to an old relic
> that imho could never have worked.
>
> In the end of the method returning javascript Smalltalk (the Webstyle)
> tries to determine whether the the browser is MSIE. A webstyle IMHO
> cannot know this, the  javascript perfectly should know this. The
> debugger comes up in
> WebStyle>>isBrowserMSIE
>     ^self session isFromMSIE
>
> Janko can prove me wrong but a Webstyle is for many simultaneous
> sessions so self session is just useless here?

There is one instance of WebStyle per each AIDASite, so tehre are omany
sessions per one webstyle.

WebStyle>>session finds a current session on which this method is
called, by "climbing on the stack", that is, going up on the stack to
find a first reference to the session this call is executing. See
Object>>firstSessionFromStack method.

This also means that #session method must be called always while
processing a web request. If you call it from debugger or workspace, it
won't find a session of course and you'll end up in error.