[Webteam] the Downloads section, wikis, and Altitude

Chris Cunnington websela at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 13:39:21 UTC 2014

Tim's email: "

A couple of nitpicks about the front page after taking a look at the latest state - nitpicks are good, since it means the basics are good!

Under ‘Download’
- possibly change "All-In-One bundle that works for Windows, OS X and x86 linux systems.” to "All-In-One bundle that works for most modern x86 Windows, OS X and x86 linux systems.” just to be clear that it won’t work on Windows RT (does anything?) and MIPS/Clipper/68k/PPC/etc unixes.
- turn the mentions of the Downloads page and Documentation page into links and/or mention the tabs at the top.
- change label of the Download button to Download All-in-one

Oh, whatthehell, I’m suggesting it should end up like this (modulo the fact I couldn’t actually edit the page code)-

Of course, we need to make a better downloads page than just pointing to the horribly messy ftp archive page and the documentation… oh my. I’ve been spending a fair bit of time trying to improve the doc on the swiki but there is a huge amount still needing attention. If anyone knows good ways to cajole, persuade, or even blackmail people into helping then I’m all ears. (Not literally you understand; I actually have arms and legs too.)

tim"

I've been trying to think what the disconnect is here. I think your paradigm is the Swiki with its wiki interface. This situation is not like that. You're micro managing the Download section of the homepage for something like the third time. This isn't a wiki. It's Altitude. To make the minutiae changes you want I have to futz. A lot. I have to futz with CSS to make sure things are running inline. I repeat. This is Altitude, which is similar to Seaside. Executive decision: the Downloads section is finished.

If you truly, madly, deeply need these changes to the Downloads section, please download this image and make the changes. And even if you do, these changes will warp the symmetry of the homepage with the other two sub sections.

http://www.chriscunnington.com/squeak.org.zip

I created a Downloads page at your request. Please direct your changes to that or anything of a larger granularity. Maybe think of content that the site needs and less about how it's being presented.

At any rate, Eliot's changes are next up.

Have a great weekend,
Chris