[Newbies] squeak on ubuntu linux

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gulik.co.nz
Mon Jun 4 10:27:47 UTC 2007

Hi Liliana.

Liliana wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have an Intel dual core 64 bit server where we installed Ubuntu 7.04
>
> We are all new in Squeak/Smalltalk; but we managed to develop a small
> Seaside app in Squeak (on Windows XP) using Squeak 3.9 and Seaside 2.7
> (latest).
>
> We would now like to install this image on the linux server and run
> seaside there, under Apache.
>
> I read quite a few of posts and Ramon Leon’s blog on how to get a
> squeak/seaside headless vm working on Linux; but we are all but
> confused; and didn’t manage to get anywhere.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Do we need x-windows, or not (we will not do development on the
> linux server)?

You should not need X-Windows.

> 2. Is there a squeak vm we can download or do we have to build from
> source for Intel dual-core? ( we tried both versions and neither works)
>
> The debian packages at:
>
> http://ftp.squeak.org/debian/ stable main
>
> don’t seem to work for linux running on intel dual core and we
> downloaded Squeak-3.9-8.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.tar from
> http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> With this last one installed we get the error:
>
> “could not find module vm-display-X11”

This means that the VM cannot find that module (to state the obvious...
sorry!); try copying that module (vm-display-X11.la or
vm-display-X11.so) into the same directory as the squeak executable.
Alternatively, you may be having linking problems because you're using
32-bit binaries. While Squeak won't use this plug-in, for some reason it
won't start unless it is present.

I would recommend trying the 64-bit binaries:
http://www.squeakvm.org/squeak64/. I have used this version of Squeak on
an AMD-64 machine without any problems.

Also note that Squeak currently can't use the dual cores; for now Squeak
can only make use of one core. I don't know about running multiple
images with a load balancer though to increase thoughput; I don't think
that Seaside would support this because it keeps stateful sessions.

> When we run:
>
> squeak -headless groupinvestment.image
>
> (where groupinvestment.image is our Windows build image containing
> seaside and our web site)
>
> And when we run:
>
> squeak -nodisplay groupinvestment.image
>
> we get:
>
> Segmentation fault

I will let somebody else on this list handle this. It may be related to
trying to run a 32-bit binary on a 64-bit machine.

Michael.