[Newbies] Better editor components?

Stuart Herring st-lists at stuartherring.com
Wed Jun 13 01:40:39 UTC 2007

On 6/13/07, Marcin Tustin <mm3 at zepler.net> wrote:
> I've been playing around with SeaSide tutorials, using the class browser and
> the workspace - is this the right way to do things? The text editing there
> is pretty sucky for a man used to xemacs, so I ask: is there a better
> "application" for editing code, or can I get hold of a better generic editor
> component that can be dropped in to replace the one the browser and
> workspace are using?

What exactly are you missing?

If you install Shout and eCompletion then there's syntax highlighting
and auto-completion,
Beyond that, your methods should be short enough that there's not a
whole lot of need for most of the features of a text editor like Emacs
or Vim...

That's not to say that there isn't room for improvement, but so far I
have personally not found much lacking, and I am used to using Vim and
Eclipse for development.
About the only issue I've found is that tab won't indent selected
lines - it just replaces them with a tab.

Regards,
Stuart