[Newbies] more Squeak exploring and Dolphin, Magma, Omnibase

Mike Stramba mstramba at sympatico.ca
Sun May 20 15:55:08 UTC 2007

Hi Subbu,

I'm plowing along in the Smalltalk / Squeak .. and now Dolphin jungle :)

http://www.object-arts.com/content/navigation/products/dce.html

If you haven't heard of it, they have a really nice free version with very
good DOCUMENTATION, that I've been using along with Squeak to try to get up
to speed.

I've been trying to figure out Magma and Omnibase in Squeak, as I'm trying
to get database connectivity working.    Have you done anything with
databases in Squeak?   I'm very frustrated with the lack of docs for both of
those db, about to look for other ones or more info on maybe the Squeak
mailing list.

Dolphin has a nice implemantion of  WELL DOCUMENTED api's for database
connectivity that works out the box.  I have it working with ODBC -> mdb
(access databases), but am having a problem with MYSQL ... something to do
with my user / host combination.  I can connect fine through comand line
tools or PHP scripts, but the Dolphin stuff seems to be adding my "real"
host (i.e. "internet connection" instead of localhost.   Any idea of what
the problem might be ?

ttyl

Mike