[Newbies] How do you start to understand a new Squeak 'program'?

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Fri Feb 8 12:32:07 UTC 2008

As my next step in learning Squeak, I thought I would try to enhance the
EToy Outliner widget. However, as soon as I started to do this I realised
that I didn't really know how to 'grok' the code. So, when the experts in
this list, are faced with a new application, how do you go about
understanding it? Do you draw out object diagrams, open lots of source
browsers, or do other clever things?

The reason I am asking is that, at the moment, I find that I am jumping
around the system browser looking up all sorts of objects/methods etc., in
what feels like a very disorganised way, trying to piece together what
actually happens.  I am sure there must be a better way to tackle this.

Also, I don't really understand how to trace a Squeak application.  I
imagine I could put lots of 'Transcript show:'s into the code, but again, I
feel there must be a better way.  Is it possible to run the code in debug
mode?

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer

Cheers
AB