[Newbies] Squeak on FreeBSD/amd64 - Image Question(s)

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 14:46:18 UTC 2009

Hi Ralf,

first of all, congratulations on your achievements! :-)

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Ralf Folkerts<ralf.folkerts at gmx.de> wrote:
> So I decided to do it the hard way and to compile for FreeBSD/amd64 on my
> own. ... and finally had a seemingly working VM.

Would you be so kind and contribute your step-by-step guide as documentation?

> Another doc mentioned to download a "full" Image; however, I only found
> "basic" ones?

These are essentially full... confusing name, though, agreed.

> http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.zip

Good choice.

> it was complaining about missing sources, so I have to solve that.

Please download http://ftp.squeak.org/3.10/SqueakV39.sources.gz and
put the result of unzipping it next to your image and changes files.
That should solve the problem.

> So, could somebody please hint me at how to get "the correct" Image for
> 64bit FreebSD/amd64? Or is the Downloaded one OK? If it is, however,
> wouldn't I need a 3.10.5 Image instead of 3.10.2?

If the image complains about sources not being found, it's "alive".

There are 64bit images, but AFAIK they're mostly unsupported (I may be
wrong there). They're available from
http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ - note, however, that those are
not version 3.10, but 3.8.

> Would really be nice if somebody could help me - esp. because it seems to me
> that many of the Docs I found are a bit outdated and sent me into wrong
> directions I think...

Welcome to the realities of Squeak. Sorry about the sarcasm, but this is it. :-)

My question to you above (about contributing your VM building
experience as documentation) is related to this...

Best,

Michael