[Newbies] I don't get it

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 05:31:08 UTC 2011

DCI = Data, communication, Interaction. Lots of this thinking is new to me too but interesting. I played with BabyIDE a while back when it wasn't very solid. Time to take another look.

What Jim and Tygrve are talking about largely are object instances  playing roles These have little to do with the objects class. They have everything to do with the objects  behavior and communication in their application. A polygon could be a background, a connector, or a handle for another object for example. The PolygonMorph class has little to do with the role the polygon plays or what messages it needs to receive and send. In squeak 3.9 there was an implementation of Traits which allowed adding methods that don't belong to a class. They apparently could be added to objects or classes arbitrarily. In squeak you can also add an event handler to a object. The event handler allows the object to behave differently. Handles for polygons are an example. The event handler gives them a role in relation to the shape of the polygon they are "handling".  It really doesn't matter whether the underlying object is a polygon or an ellipse the behavior is
 determined by the event handler and not the class of the object.

Hth.