[Newbies] Balloon3D Support

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Mar 18 01:26:56 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:26:45PM -0700, Joseph D. Kulisics wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to get Balloon3D working on a linux installation of Squeak. I'm using the 4.10.2-2614 VM from the UNIX Squeak site. I am also using the Squeak4.4-12327 updated to 4.4-12333 image. After I install the Balloon3D-1.1.3.mcm package through Monticello from http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D, the package appears to load correctly, but none of the Balloon3D morphs work. The all fail to launch because the B3DScanner class does not exist. I've searched the web for a day, and I can't find any information about the state of the Balloon3D package. Is it still supported? If it's supported, where is the B3DScanner class? Is there another source for the package? Thanks,
>
>   Joseph Kulisics

Hi Joseph,

I think that B3DScanner is in package Balloon3D-Plugins, and that does not
seem to be listed in the Balloon3D-1.1.3.mcm configuration. Try loading
Balloon3D-Plugins also, and see if that helps. I expect that you will get
some warning messages when you do this, because Balloon3D-Plugins depends
on the VMMaker packages, but you can ignore these warnings for now.

I suggest that you ask questions about this on the main squeak-dev mailing
list. Unfortunately the author of Balloon3D is recently deceased, but many
people on the squeak-dev list are familiar with (and greatly admire) his
work, so I'm sure you will be able to get help there.

Dave