[Newbies] What happened to all the toys?

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Wed Oct 14 18:04:10 UTC 2015

Hi Eric,

my two cents on this:

Squeak has few resources nowadays and nobody (including me) has
continued to work on these things.

For me the big breakdown was that project save broke in 4.5.

The big plus of Squeak for me is it's backwards compatibility. So I
develop in 4.4 and if I need the speed of the new VM I just deploy it on
5.0. This is for example all my Raspberry Pi work.

I did a lot of work in 3.8 which afaik has all the toys you mention and
some development tools I like. Basically with todays computers it runs
fast as lightning compared to then. You'll need to find the latest
interpreter (non cog, non spur) VM, I'll happily mail you the one I'm
using. I assume I could just take the mcz's (Monticello) and load them
in a current Squeak to run them. Maybe I'll do that shortly when I
revisit my neural networks stuff.

Bottom line:
I'm happy Squeak makes the great progress (imho) it makes and I have to
compensate for the losses unless I'm willing to do the work. I suggest
you try a 3.8 image to find your toys and do new stuff in 5.0 unless you
need to save projects across images. If so, 4.4 is the latest one.

Squeak incl. 5.0 is such a great environment to be working in!

Cheers,

Herbert