[Box-Admins] Fwd: [Board] Daily Commit Log has disappeared

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 27 01:28:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:47:32PM -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 07:44:33PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> > I think I did set up a cronjob to generate the daily commit log. The script probably was in my user dir. Did that survive?
> >
> > - Bert -
>
> Yes your script and the cron job have survived.
>
> According to the cron entry at /srv/box2/var/spool/cron/crontabs/squeaksource,
> cron entry was this:
>
> 55 23 *   *   *    /home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh
>
> Your dailycommits.sh script and everything that goes with it is safely
> restored in /srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/.
>
> I think that the script will run on box4, except that it looks like the
> /usr/bin/mail client that we had on box2 does not exist, so possibly it
> is necessary to do "apt-get install mailutils".
>
> So to get it running again, I think that the only thing required is to add
> a cron job for user squeaksource with the following entry:
>
> 55 23 *   *   *    srv/box2/home/squeaksource/dailycommits/dailycommits.sh
>
> That said, it looks like we do not yet actually have a user id "squeaksource"
> on box4, and for reasons that I cannot explain, the source.squeak.org home
> directory and everything under it are owned by user davidlewis (I did not
> do that, honest ;-).
>
> So we probably need to add a proper user for squeaksource (source.squeak.org,
> not squeaksource.com), and we should change the file ownerships to match.
>
> But in the near term, since I just happen to coincidentally be a person
> named davidlewis, I'll bet that I can reinstall the old dailycommits cron
> job under my user id.
>
> I will see if I can install a mail client and cron job to get this working.
> Details will be in /root/admin-log.txt.
>
> Dave

I installed the /usr/bin/mail client, but mail from box4 cannot be delivered
to squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org because:

  squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
    Mailing to remote domains not supported

So I need some guidance - how should mail be sent to the squeak-dev list
from a /usr/bin/mail mail client on box4.squeak.org?

The cron job is not yet installed, and I will not make any further changes
for now.

Thanks,