[Elections] Stepping down (and stepping up)

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at techunix.technion.ac.il
Wed Mar 1 10:38:45 UTC 2006

Peter Crowther wrote:

>>Ken Causey and I have asked Daniel whether he's willing to serve as
>>team leader.  I'll let Daniel post his thoughts about it.  I think
>>he's a good choice.
>>

>Just a dumb question.  We've just given the Squeak community a process
>to allow it to select the people who will lead it.  That process was
>agreed after considerable discussion.  We have the bootstrapping
>question of how the elections team itself is constituted - who's in it,
>who leads it.  Is this the most appropriate way of selecting the leader
>of this team?

I don't think its a dumb question at all. Do we have any candidates from
within the team? If other candidates present themselves, I certainly
don't mind having a CIVS election for the role.

If you're proposing this as a general mechanism for making teams, we
need to consider some general question. Do you think it appropriate to
look for candidates outside a team? should the voters be from inside the
team, or the whole community (who's aquaintance with candidates is less
specific, and who might have better things to do)?

I don't yet know how it is that the voting mechanism should serve the
community best - whether to use it directly to make decisions, or just
team leadership decisions, or just board elections (and then let them
appoint people - this is pretty much what Debian does,  btw). In other
words, how direct vs. representative we want our democratic aspects to be.

>To be clear, I also think Daniel's a good choice.  I'm raising an
>eyebrow at the selection process, not its conclusion.

Thanks, but I agree you raise a relevant choice.

Daniel