[etoys-dev] Release notes

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Aug 31 05:55:19 EDT 2009

We/someone should start working on release notes. The previous ones
(for 3.0) are here:

http://squeakland.org/download/releaseNotes.jsp

Since these are mostly aimed at users, maybe the edu team should write
the bulk of it?

I think the Big New Thing in 4.0 that needs to be communicated very
clearly is both the finishing of the re-licensing, and the switch to a
community development process lead by the Squeakland foundation. On
the technical side we settled on the 1200x900 virtual resolution, but
other than that it's almost just bug fixes.

To aid writing the notes I made a change log going back to the
previous Squeakland release (3.0):

http://svn.squeakland.org/installers/NEWS

I compiled this mostly from my OLPC release log.

We have various logs now with varying degrees of detail:

* for users (matches what I send as release announcements)
http://dev.laptop.org/~bert/public_rpms/joyride/ChangeLog

* for developers (edited to one-line summaries, added support file
changes too)
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/NEWS
(this is actually generated from http://etoys.laptop.org/src/
etoys.spec and goes back to 2006)

* raw changeset comments (does not include changes outside image)
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.3.2
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.3.1
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.3.0
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.2.3
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.2.2
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.2.1
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.2.0
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/ChangeLog.1.0

We should start consolidating all of our various developer sites after
the release.