[etoys-dev] Re: Need for translation in DrGeo

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue May 18 02:57:47 EDT 2010

On 5/17/2010 11:42 PM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> Sure I will propose improved version of DrGeoII for Etoys.
> One important note: if people should commit improvment to DrGeo they
> should do it in the primary DrGeo package. I do not have the ressource
> to look at DrGeo improvment in two different places.
> So the published DrGeoII package in etoysInbox should be readonly. In
> fact I am pretty sure it is not a good idea I publish DrGeoII in
> EtoysInbox, I am pretty sure people will publish changed there.
> Hum, need a few though on that...

Yes, please think about it. One thing to realize is that when you want
your package included in someone's image you are giving up some control
over it. There is no way to change that. Requiring the package to be
treated 'read-only' is not feasible. It's a lesson I learned years back
when I tried to maintain the Graphics and some other packages across
Squeak and Croquet and had just the same view on how all changes should
be done upstream.

The short version is: It doesn't work. When someone makes a fix they
*will* commit it to the inbox because that's the place where fixes go.
And keeping lists of external repositories up to date isn't going to
work either, largely just because of reliability issues - what happens
when Squeaksource is down again? Lots and lots of issues that way and
I've learned since then that by adding your package to some image you
need to enter a more flexible relationship.

Really, the way think about it is this: You release a version of the
package(s) for that image version. It's up to those people to take it
from there and make adjustments as required. When you see fit (i.e.,
when you have the time) you check on things to see if there have been
any modifications that should be merged upstream. If not, let the
downstream know when there is a new package version and let them merge
it. Unless there are major differences, this approach allows everyone to
get their work done - you can concentrate on functionality improvements,
the downstream can do the maintenance that's required.

Cheers,
   - Andreas