Monticello format (was: Re: Starting a Magma/Seaside pilot project)

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 19:20:42 UTC 2005

On 12/22/05, Chris Muller <chris at funkyobjects.org> wrote:
> Assuming there was full support for MCC's (I require
> able to save to a "directory" repository), what do
> they buy me over the flat list of regular
> dependencies?

You can save MCC's to any kind of repository. However, SqueakSource
interprets what it receives and it misinterpreted .mcm files. That's
been solved, I hear :)

Well, as long as all the packages are strictly yours and you can keep
a flat hierarchy, MCC doesn't buy you a whole lot apart from probably
load order (I'm not sure that MC's guarantees w.r.t. load order are,
but in any case it's a bit of a pain to maintain). It starts to shine
if you need to pull in third-party stuff, in a certain order. That's
hard to do with MC without publishing new versions of such packages
with prereqs to satisfy a certain load order, with MCC it's just
natural.