[Seaside-dev] [Seaside] Build Process

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Sun Mar 6 17:48:20 UTC 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 9:33 AM, Avi Shefi wrote:

So we have two issues:
1) Functional tests - can we, or can't we automate these? even if a large portion can be automated, how do you think this should be done?
2) Should we have a Grease-only build? (Dale's suggestion)

Regarding suspending the commits until a release - this works only because we're a small community :)
I would definitely go for an automated build system which can handle both: (a) taking the latest package versions and doing nightly builds; and (b) defining a set of packages (or a Metacello configuration) for a release, and building it regardless of new commits (whether through a dedicated Hudson Seaside build, or some other mechanism).

Another issue:
Dale, Do we build/update/run a new release under each and every dialect manually?
If it's manual, then maybe there's room for a script that fetches a Metacello configuration and runs Seaside tests against all dialects? or possibly a few dialect-specific scripts that automate this?

If someone created and maintained a hudson server that loaded the seaside configs for squeak I wouldn't have to do the manual builds/tests:)

As I've mentioned before, the GemStone builds require manual merges and the other platforms don't use Monticello let alone Metacello:)

Frankly I am still doing the metacello stuff manually so that I can experience the pain and improve metacello itself, as long as I keep learning from the experience I don't mind doing it manually ... but if there were more automation for building on the Squeak releases and the old Pharo releases, I wouldn't complain:)