[Seaside] Wierd totally fatal bug problem

Tim Rowledge tim@sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu, 16 May 2002 18:45:46 -0700

Hmm, well here's a funny thing.

I reported a dead image that would
a) blow away a Mac vm
b) blow away an Acorn vm
c) run on linux but not function as a webserver.

Today I tried again on the linux box, first removing the SocketPlugin.so
so that any suspect sockets couldn't do anything at all. I stopppd the
seaside server and saved the image. Then I restored SocketPlugin, and
restarted, then restarted seaside. No problem, it serves jsut fine.

I copied the image (the one saved with no servers running) to my Acorn
and started it - this time it was ok, but blew up on a fullGC. A retry
with the socket plugin disabled was ok, I could gc etc no problem. I
restored the socketplugin and all is well again.

This all sounds faintly stale-socketish to me.

I was completely unable to debug on Mac - I made a debug vm ok but it
crashed into a totally meaningless state. Just an assembler display with
no backtrace available, and another thread that is for the event
polling. Very helpful - not!

I can drop the image on a website if anyone would like to see what it
does on windows or Mac OSX; maybe somebody even knows how to use gdb and
see why it doesn't crash on linux?

tim
--
Tim Rowledge, tim@sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
Useful random insult:- Sharp, like stone in river.  Swift, like tree through forest.