[Seaside] Re: no HTML entities for 8bit characters in UTF-8 encoding

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Fri Jun 25 22:00:57 CEST 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 1:20 AM, Kamil Kukura wrote:

> Avi Bryant wrote:
>> I'd rather not use external XML files, since they don't integrate
>> well with Smalltalk source control.  The approach
>> that I'm taking with CSS right now is to have simple StringLibrary
>> classes that consist solely of unary selectors returning string
>> literals.  I would think we could take the same approach here:
>> MyLocalLibrary>>buttonSend
>>     ^ 'An Unicode text encoded in UTF-8'
>
> Yes, I think it could be something generic. Right now I don't have
> clue how could I write readable unicode text into Squeak.

Unicode support will be coming in Squeak 3.8, IIUC.

> But something derived from StringLibrary can have #doesNotUnderstand:
> implemented as gateway to reach translated text somehow.
> Additionaly, I need external file as something I can pass to
> translator (a person) if I want to have it in another language.
> Anyway, I think it could be eliminated if there would exist seaside
> application for translating texts :)

Yes, that would be the idea - to have a web-based tool that would edit
the translations.

> Regarding i18l text I'm thinking about relation with enumerated
> variable embedded somewhere in middle. Example in english (I hope it's
> correct):
>
>    You have got 1 knife.
>    You have got 2 knives.
>
> In czech it has 3 possible forms:
>
>    Mate 1 nuz.
>    Mate 2(3,4) noze.
>    Mate 5 nozu.
>
> But together with date/time, currency formatting it is rather topic on
> data presentation in general.

Some of these same issues were discussed on squeak-dev with regard to
the Babel tools.  I'm not sure I like their solution, but it might be
worth going back over the discussion.