[Seaside] My first Seaside app(s) - Allowance and AllowanceAdmin

Jason Dufair jase at purdue.edu
Wed May 5 16:38:21 CEST 2004

Eric Hodel <drbrain at segment7.net> writes:

>> If you want to try it out, you'll want to start by adding a kid
>> (i.e. PiggybankOwner) in the admin app (that the parents would
>> presumably run) which is at
>> http://tunewheel.dyndns.org:9090/seaside/AllowanceAdmin You can use this
>> to set the various instance vars for each Piggybank, start/stop the
>> earning process, etc.
>
> The only thing I can think to add is a call to #confirm when deleting a
> piggy bank, I went to see if you had this in, and accidentally deleted
> the wrong piggy bank!  I don't think my kids would be happy if they lost
> their piggy bank due to a "bank error" :)

I'm not a fan of confirmation dialogs at all.  People click them without
thinking or reading.  But the other side of the no confirmation mantra
is having the abiliy to undo.  I'm not sure how I would have undo
functionality here.  The back button wouldn't do the trick, I don't
think.  I guess I could mark the deleted piggybanks and garbage collect
them at some point.  That confirmation dialog is sounding pretty good
right now.

> How do the good/bad choices on the kids' side work?  Do they get to
> mark their own bad or good choices?

They do get to mark good and bad choices.  It's on the honor system at
this point.  My wife thinks I should add a logging facility to see what
got marked when...

(for those trying it out, most people seem to have missed the "earn now"
link which lets you call the earn method without having to wait until
the next earning point)

--
Jason Dufair
Office of the VP for Information Technology
jase at purdue.edu
765-496-1185 - fax: 765-496-7409