[Seaside] Re: Seaside/Squeak/Swazoo - how to get going

chris at workinglinux.com chris at workinglinux.com
Thu Feb 24 07:49:31 CET 2005

"C. David Shaffer" <cdshaffer at acm.org> writes:

> chris at workinglinux.com wrote:
>>
> Don't give up!  Seaside is worth it :-)  I hope you can either switch
> to 3.7 or find the determination to get things working under 3.6.

Woot!  Thanks, for the encouragement.  I did upgrade to 3.7 - *much*
nicer.  But I had problem getting Package Loader to work  -
UUIDGenerator's makeUnixSeed was having problems reading /dev/urandom,
though /dev/urandom was fine.  Goran Krampe found it suggested
commenting out the firat two lines of makeUnixSeed, and evrything
clicked into place!

>>I must be a total dork, because when I try to use SwazooSeaside, my web
>>browser reports 'page contains no data'.  Sheesh.
>>

> Nope, or if so than I am too...  The Universes effort seeks to remedy
> this for future releases of Squeak (then package releases will be more
> carefully tied to Squeak image versions).

After further reading, I can see that this indeed an issue, and a very,
very tough one.  But well worth licking and it seems that people are
starting to come to grips with it.  Yay!

--
And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good