[Seaside] Why seaside really sucks! COMMMMMMMENTS are MISSING

Sebastian Sastre ssastre at seaswork.com
Fri Apr 6 17:45:27 UTC 2007

Steph you're right but could be good that you also explain that beside a
Seaside dyagnosys is a dyagnosys for symptoms of unfriendly "uneducative"
anti-pattern not uncommon in our community.
I think we have responsibility to "work" this by helping to introduce
alternatives to those anti-patterns(*) and "best educative practices in
Smalltalk" and the related "profilaxy of the uneducative anti-patterns in
Smalltalk" for us all and not only on Seaside.

I love criticism is a very healthy thing. A tool for real progress. But one
must focus on efforts and results.

So Seaside's results don't suck. Documentation (the lak of it) does. All
un-human cryptic codification sucks. Smalltalk has a really great, great
chance to prevent that.

I imagine that your intention "behind the scenes" is this and you want to
take some attention with your comments. Is a valid thecnique of creating
some apparently controversial subject to awake people. I agree with you in
that.

And because of that it's also a chance to give two minutes of reflection
about the value of seeing the code one make and uses as a chance of
educating perhaps anonymously someone who will read that piece of software
somwhere in time. Smalltalk has pieces of code that remains for years.
Others technologies are a lot more volatile than that.

And as I see is not just "to comment" is to undestand that one can use the
comment as an oportunity to donate glimpses of your experience doing it. An
oportunity to express it in the most didactic way you can archieve at that
moment of glimpse you managed to build up and in which you have apprehension
of something. You have created an "apprehension field".

I you leave a mark of that apprehension field you are assisting someone to
reproduce that field and perhaps helping to archieve it's own apprehension.
That will save him/her time, misunderstandings, misleadings and for the same
price, in case you forget a detail, it can save it to yourself in the future
too.

That unegoistical attitude would be of precious value. Is not utopic is
practical and archivable. Often some self-criticism. That could be reflected
on the prosperity of the system you are working on. The price? 15 seconds
for method and some typing and redacting? That is an investiment that will
return to you in the form of more people understanding what you do and how
it works. People that could surpass learning smalltalk frustrations and will
reach a point in which they'll start to give it's part adding strenght to
our community that you will surely need to consult in subjects not familiar
to you.

I wanted to express that I think that the key to the change we need is to
adopt thecniques which pruposes sistematical donation of didactic clues
about the apprehension moments we experiment using Smalltalk.

That is what one could call programing for persons and not computers and in
my modest opinion one of the most valuable and subtle things that the spirit
of Smalltalk has to offer.

Regards,

Sebastian Sastre

(*) I want to put emphasys in all the anti-patterns that are not related to
programming (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-pattern) But more than
the basic reference I'm giving here, I want to put emphasys in the concept
of our community's own creative anti-patterns.