[Seaside] Seaside with PHP (sort of)

William Harford seaside at harford.org
Fri Apr 27 13:47:23 UTC 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 3:13 AM, Edward Stow wrote:

> Will
>
> Before investing too much time in the project you should have a look
> at some of the other php frameworks.

The initial idea behind Phaux was simply to see if I could implement
anything like Seaside in PHP. The proof of concept worked so well and
was so exciting I decided to continue. Because Phaux is in PHP and
not Smalltalk it lacks a lot of very useful Smalltalk features.

I did look at other frameworks. None of them come anywhere near
Seaside or Phaux in philosophical design decisions. All of them are
traditional page biased frameworks.

>   I have a passing familiarity
> with  CakePhp and am developing an application in Prado
> http://pradosoft.com. I suggest that you look at the QuickStart
> tutorial http://pradosoft.com/demos/quickstart/ .

I have looked at Prado and considering the current state of
frameworks it looks nice but ...

Both CakePhp and Prado use code generation as integral parts of their
design. I can't even being to tell you how disturbing I find this.

Pardo uses templates. CSS is mature enough that templates should be
relegated to a museum.

No PHP framework other then Phaux is stateful (that I have been able
to find).

Their mechanisms for persistence are, in my opinion, backwards. They
generate (*shudder*) or base the object model off the relational
model. REServe (both for Smalltalk and for PHP) do the inverse.
Biasing the relational model off the object model.

There are other things as well but I don't want to clog up this
mailing list with to much chatter about another project. If you would
like to continue this conversation I have created a phaux-dev group.
http://groups.google.com/group/phaux-dev.

Thanks
Will

> Prado in particular implements many of the features that you listed on
> the google site.
>
> Edward
>

> Edward Stow

Do I dream of electric sheep?