[Seaside] Seaside cache

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 19:52:40 UTC 2007

> I'm pretty sure that Lukas' blog, e.g.
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/blog/blogbugfix?
> command=PRViewCommand&view=PBPostHtmlView
> generates links that have no state in.  How does that play with your
> caching requirements?

So, this means that all the state is in the URL. There are different
places in the Pier blog plugin where it creates REST-ful but stateless
URLs, just to avoid that everybody updating its feed creates a new
session. Pier creates REST-ful and state-full URLs by default, this
means the URLs can be bookmarked but Seaside will only try to parse
them if the state has been thrown away (aka the session expired).

A possible strategy for your caching problem would be to do the
following. I don't really know if it is worth the pain, make sure that
you don't optimize too early:

- Create REST-ful URLs for all the parts of the application that
should be cached. Make sure that you add a special URL parameter to
all the parts that should be served dynamically.

- Let Apache cache all the pages that don't have the special
parameter. Do a fallback to the Seaside image if you encounter the
parameter or if the requested URL is missing in the cache.

It sounds quite simple, but I guess there are some tricky hidden parts
somewhere in-between. I guess that especially the conversion from the
cached to the dynamically created contents and vice versa, could turn
out not that trivial.

Cheers,
Lukas

--