[Seaside] another reason Rails gets market share andSeasidedoesn't

Ramon Leon ramon.leon at allresnet.com
Wed Jul 18 16:10:33 UTC 2007

> Thanks Ramon.  I agree with your comments, but I wasn't brave
> enough to say "forget all the newbies".  Having said that
> though, there are a lot of newbies on this list who are
> interested.  Your blog and other tutorials go a long way to
> helping them get into it, and hopefully see the light.
>
> --
> Jason Rogers

I'm not totally saying forget the newbies, I just want to point out that not
every framework has to be targeted at "newbie programmers".  Someone has to
cater to more experienced programmers who actually care about silly things
like *flexible* architecture and plugability rather than just how fast can I
puke out a table onto a screen.

Programming well isn't easy, and it's almost a disservice to make things
look too easy and trick people into thinking they can do something they
really shouldn't be.  Anyone who doesn't instantly see the intrinsic value
of Seaside probably isn't ready for it.  They haven't worked in enough other
frameworks to really feel the pain that makes Seaside so attractive.  I
don't want to scare anyone away, but from my experience, Seaside isn't a
framework for beginners, PHP owns that market.

Ramon Leon
http://onsmalltalk.com