[Seaside] Re: Starting out

aditya siram aditya.siram at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 22:29:41 UTC 2008

I used Seaside and Smalltalk for the first time this summer. It wasn't easy
but, unlike some online communities, these folks were willing to talk
patiently to a  "dumb-noob". And it was well worth it.

In the beginning, your productivity will take a *huge* hit and your
co-workers may even look at you with contempt. Of the many wheels you will
re-invent the most frustrating ones (for me) are those that have been
implemented in other languages/frameworks and are well-documented and mature
- login boxes/user management for instance.

I certainly sympathize with your frustration. And the more innovative your
tools, the less the distance between you and the designers,  the harder you
have run.

The big win, and for me the one that trumped everything else was the helpful
community and that Seaside and Smalltalk are jam-packed with *concepts* not
brand-names. The concepts tend to last longer and carry over to many other
areas of computer science.

For this reason Seaside will make you better web developer, and Smalltalk
will make you a better programmer. But it will be a while before you can
impress your boss by delivering on a project that was due "yesterday".

-deech