[Seaside] Newbie alert: file uploads, etc.

Bill Schwab BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu
Mon Jul 7 17:38:47 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am just getting started with Seaside (Pharo, Seaside 2.8, AFAIK, I am
not using Scriptaculous), and stumbled around for a while looking for a
good project.  Any time I am tempted to complain about how hard it is to
find and file references, I think back to the days when one had to
actually go to a big building called a library.  Downloading full-text
.pdf files is a great improvement over the hard way.  That said, it
really pays for me to add new articles to my a BibTeX file as soon as I
find them.  Getting the entries themselves is easy; many publishers
provide them, as does Google Scholar (if configured to do so).

So, imagine a site that shows a report with the existing .bib files,
drills down into their content, and accepts uploads of new full-text
files and allows one to paste a BibTeX entry and a starting synopsis for
the article into a form.  Behind the scenes, the new entry gets
automatically edited with keys to represent the full-text file and/or
local cache URL for same, and the synopsis.  The result is a pain to
create, but very useful, and I thought it would be nice to try turning
the tedious parts into a Seaside app on one of my servers.

That's what I am trying to do.  Parts of it already more or less work.
The idea of an upload hit me, and I realized it would be a LOT less
trouble to use than my backup plan.

Just how evil are file uploads?  Do they work with or without a proxy
server?  Most files I find tend to be .pdf, usually 800k or so, ranging
from very small (no worries) to just shy of 3MB.  Is that a reasonable
thing to expect to work?  Any other questions I should be asking?

Bill

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology