[Seaside] OSCON "contest"

Kyle Dawkins kyle at idealist.org
Tue Jul 22 19:27:20 UTC 2008

Hey James

Good work!  I have a few suggestions...

* RoR people are impressed by smoke & mirrors.  Try to make the entry/
edit forms work as lightboxes.  It's a feature of Seaside and should
be easy to implement, though not sure how well it behaves with
Magritte... anyone?

* One nice thing about RoR and Django is that their default styles are
very nice.  Are you allowed to prepare some styles and have them
ready?  It looks a bit "raw" without.  Simple stuff like setting the
font to something nice and getting rid of ugly table borders.

20 minutes is not much time at all... I think they're going to find in
practice that most people are unable to get anything too impressive
going.  The django guys tried to show off how fast it is to develop an
app at a recent Portland python UG meeting, and 45 minutes later they
were still puzzling over some silly little thing and never got a
working app going...

Good luck!  And post the results to the group after!  especially if
there's video or screencasts.

Cheers

Kyle
kyle at idealist.org