[Seaside] Create an SUUpdater without using the WARenderCanvas

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 17:19:20 UTC 2009

> So, It's possible to create a SUUpdater without the normal html? (of course,
> it has to work in an page)

Not without other hacks. The updater needs to know the render-context
to be able to register the callbacks. That's a bit ugly in Seaside 2.8
and we were recently discussing on fixing that dependency in Seaside
2.9, but we didn't do it yet. Maybe a feature request in the issue
tracker would put some pressure on us ;-)

> PS: Why do I need this? because I'm doing a rendering process inside a model
> and I'm inserting that updater into the page via Comet, but I don't want to
> keep the 'html' inside the page as an instance variable, just the values I
> need (like the url and the parameters).

It sounds a bit ugly, that the model needs to know about the view.
What about applying the observer pattern (or one of its incarnations),
so that the view gets notified about changes in the model? Like this
your model and view would be separated and you could create the script
from the right context.

Cheers,
Lukas

--