[Seaside] JSON REST in VisualWork Seaside

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:57:30 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 2:07 AM, Roger Whitney <whitney at cs.sdsu.edu> wrote:
> I have an existing Seaside app using Seaside 3.0 in VisualWork 7.x (it works in VW7.7 through VW7.9). I want to add a REST component to return JSON. The Seaside-REST packages don't ship with VW. I did find them on the cincom repository but they do not seem to work (a lot of exceptions). I also came across James Robertson's old video on RESTful services in Seaside but that approach also does not seem to work anymore (I get JSON in a web page).
>
> Does anyone have REST working in Seaside 3 in VisualWorks? Not clear if I am missing something simple?
>
> I can always use the VW WebToolKit to server my REST service, but would like to know if it is possible in Seaside using VW.

It should work in theory, I know it's working on GemStone an VAST.
Firstly it uses pragmas but the Pharo/Squeak/GemStone/VAST pragma API
is modelled after the VW pragma API. That should work in theory. The
second thing it uses are method argument names. You'll need to write
one class extension on the VisulalWorks (or Cincom Smalltalk) platform
class for this.

If you need to port it manually AFAIK there is a tool to directly load
the MC package without filing out and in. It's probably best to ask on
a Cincom mailing list like vwnc though.

Cheers
Philippe