[Setools] Gjallar: extracting features

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Feb 9 09:09:25 UTC 2007

On 09.02.2007, at 09:23, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

>> And, sadly, this obsession with Package Browsers has gotten worse in
>> 3.9 because you can't even make Hierarchy Browser the default
>> anymore!
>> Its really boggling at how difficult it is to simply focus on the
>> *class-model* instead of always just the package-organization..  So I
>> usually find 3.8 better for groking code (at least until I get
>> time to
>> fix up 3.9)..

The package browser is a *extremely* bad hack that sadly seduces a lot
of poeple to use it (e.g. Croquet once was shipped with an opened
packagebrowser...).
It should have been removed years ago. We should have removed it in 3.9.

Do *never* use it. Maybe you set the package browser to be the
default one? there
is a menu item in the window menu of the browser to select a new
default one.

I would suggest, like Adrian, to have a look at OmniBrowser... after
using it for
some time, you don't want to go back. And it is *extensible* and
*documented*
(soon: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/cgi-bin/scgbib.cgi/abstract=yes?
Berg07b)

Our students are using it with great success for all their new tools
and experiments.

	Marcus