Bug: disableSounds preference spontaniously becomes false

Tim Rowledge rowledge at interval.com
Wed Nov 18 17:51:34 UTC 1998

On Wed 18 Nov, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Chris,
>
> > I'd post a patch but I don't know the sound system well enough to know
> > _where_ the fix ought to go.
>
> The problem is that the sound start prim on Unix system doesn't fail, even
> though sound is not supported. Ian put this in to avoid the annoying
> walkbacks but it will probably be fixed with the next release. For now,
> you could just comment out the sound start prim in SoundPlayer class
> (e.g., in primSoundStartBufferSize:...)
>
>   Andreas

I get around this problem on Acorn by making the machine specific sound functions cheat.  So far as I recall, this basically only needed
snd_InsertSamplesFromLeadTime(int frameCount, int srcBufPtr, int samplesOfLeadTime) {
// return frameCount to pretend the buffer was filled
	return frameCount;
}
and
snd_Start(int frameCount, int samplesPerSec, int stereo, int semaIndex) {

	return true;
}
but fetching my   VM sources from http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas/sq22VM.zip would give you the whole file to compare.
I haven't noticed any problemas apart from the fact that no sound comes out...

tim

--
Strange OpCodes: PO: Punch Operator
Tim Rowledge:  rowledge at interval.com (w)  +1 (650) 842-6110 (w)