[newbie] my setup, updating

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon Aug 27 03:46:59 UTC 2001

John Hinsley <jhinsley at telinco.co.uk> writes:
> What window manager are you using? I know that on a P333 with 128Mb
> I can run Squeak at -memory 60m without getting into problems (any
> more and it'll compete with KDE and whatever else I have running and
> slow down!).

KDE/kwin. It seems like X takes 30, konqueror takes 30, xemacs takes
20, and I'm always into swap. So memory is scarce (what's new).  Your
data point is helpful. I can fit another 32m in this box and it sounds
like the time has come.

> //snipped//
> >  (*) better advice from the more experienced always welcome
>
> Ahem... well, I can't say for sure that this is better, but I've now
> switched from Ian's sources to Lex's (which is by no means to demean
> Ian's efforts -- Lex's stuff is, essentially, Ian's stuff with extra
> tweaks and bugfixes worked in) they're at:

That's good to know, I'll try it. Thanks to all three of you.

-Simon