Professor seeking sabbatical niche

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Jan 3 09:31:35 UTC 2001

Hi Andrew

We have a team full of Smalltalker and some Squeakers like nathanael
that built Genie the new handrecognition character.

I invited John maloney but I suspect that Alan will never let him come.
We can host you we have place, computer and fun. People around speak english,
Switzerland is in the middle of europe: 4,3h by train from Paris, 6 to Florence,
6 to Nice....

I would really like to host you for your sabbatical.

Oscar and some students are building picola a distributed oo language for
scripting written in Java and Squeak.
I'm and the rest of the team are working on reengineering. programm
understanding....

look at http:/www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/ click alos on our wiki
Tell me if you want to know more.

Stef

> Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2001 23:46:26 -0800
> From: "Andrew P. Black" <black at cse.ogi.edu>
> Subject: Professor seeking sabbatical niche
>
> I hope that this is not an inappropriate request to place on this
> list -- if it is, please flame me privately ;-)
>
> I'm a professor at the Oregon Graduate Institute, and my interest in
> Squeak has been growing steadily as I do more and more with it.  But
> there is no Squeak "community" here at OGI. I have a sabbatical
> coming up next academic year (October 2001 onwards), and I would like
> to spend some part of it doing something that deepens my knowledge of
> Squeak, and hopefully contributes to the Squeak environment.  Oh--and
> is fun!
>
> Most likely, this would be some not-for-profit activity, perhaps one
> that draws on my interests in distributed systems, and contributes to
> the Squeak source pool; for this I would expect to get at least
> partial salary support from my University.   But I would also be
> interested in doing some commercial O-O development in Squeak,
> particularly as part of an XP team.
>
> See my web page at http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black for more information about
me.
> If you might be interested in talking further about my participation
> on your project, please contact me (off the list)
> mailto:black at cse.ogi.edu
>
> Although October seems like a long way off, I do need to make plans
> fairly quickly with the University.  At this point I'm looking for
> expressions of interest rather than a firm commitment.
>
> 	Andrew

Stephane DUCASSE (ducasse at iam.unibe.ch) http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/

University of Bern, Institut fuer informatik and Mathematik
IAM-SCG, 10 neubruckstrasse, CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland.