[OT] Interactive Fiction is an Oxymoron

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon Jul 30 15:39:47 UTC 2001

Sorry, but the recent thread used a term that just makes me boil over.
It is, in my view, the quest for "interactive fiction" that has held
back gaming now for decades.

The reason for this is simple.  Interaction is an anathema to excellent
storytelling.  A storyteller, at least per the Poetics, is concerned
above all things, with timing.  The tempo of a story is everything.  The
manner and velocity with which the characters are introduced and
developed is essential to obtaining the necessary suspension of
disbelief -- the tempo of building conflicts ultimately yielding a
climax or climaxes drives the reader to continue, and the effectiveness
of the denoument to finish, explain and justify the story are all
measured along a timescale -- and the tempo between these elements is
essential.

It is the nature of a simulation, or interactive game, to permit the
user control over his environment.  Should he enjoy prowling around an
arena for hours, so be it.  If he wants to wander aimlessly through a
jungle or search the interstices of irrelevant subject matter to the
game -- again, so be it.  The more detail, the more interesting the
scenario -- but the far less effective the story.  As an extreme
example, while a simulation can sustain dead ends to make a game work,
no story can survive that.  On the other hand, if you have no dead ends
at all, players feel a grave loss of challenge.  (Enter the love-hate
relationship between gamers, game designers and their game "cheats,"
walkthoughs and "cheat books.")

This inherent conflict, the war between storytelling and interaction is,
to me, the locus where all games (including my own efforts in this
regard) have failed.  Of course, some merging of interaction and
storytelling is possible without one destroying the other, but the more
of one formulation is added, the more the other suffers.  The trick, of
course, is to recognize that interactive fiction is an oxymoron.  To
design the game well, first realistically design it as either a
simulation-with-a-bit-o-story, or a story-with-a-bit-o-simulation.  Then
use smoke-and-mirrors, plain old theatre tricks plus new tech tricks, to
make the game SEEM more storytelling, or more interactive, than it
really is.

Sorry, but this is one of my soft spots.