the "script manager" in Stable Squeak

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu May 24 15:56:30 UTC 2001

> So, here it is... with a wonderfully catchy url:
>
> http://195.43.243.112:8000/sqworld.1

Thanks!  It's nice to be able to get an idea about Stable Squeak without
having to download it.

It's a wonderful project overall, but I don't like the script manager.
Here's why:

	1. The scripts appear to be based on text, instead of on
PasteUpMorph's.  Text is pretty general in Squeak, but PasteUpMorph's
are much better.

	2. There is a single global hierarchy.  Wouldn't it be better to have a
web connected with hyperlinks?

	3. The texts are accessed from a single window.  Basically, I directly
disagree that "all those workspaces windows" is bad -- multiple windows
is a terrific, modern way to talk to a computer.  In meatspace, would
you really want all the books on your shelf incorporated into one big
book, where it's hard to look at two pages side by side, where your one
book weighs a ton, and where page numbers are a three-level hierarchy?
Single windows are good for optimized but restricted operations, and
aren't so great at general browsing which has different styles.  Just
follow the occasional design threads about Celeste, which is also a
single-window UI, to get an idea of the problems.

	4. Every title has a number with it for ordering.  This bothers me to
the bone.  Things should just *have* an order, one way or the other, and
we shouldn't need such a hackish encoding.

So instead of this Script Manager, let me propose two different
approaches that stay closer to Squeak's spirit:

	1. Use BookMorphs, and code up an option for textual tables of
contents.  The table of contents seems to be the big win here;
everything else in the Script Manager is a step back from what's already
possible with BookMorphs.

	2. Use projects and hyperlinks.  This appears to be the emerging idiom
for large presentations in Squeak, so why not go along with it?
Probably  there will be quirks, but it would seem better to work out the
quirks than to dump it and go back to the text age.

Maybe I misunderstand how the Script Manager works -- after all, I've
only looked at Goren's article and haven't tried it myself.  I simply
hope that Stable Squeak can  maintain what Squeak is already good at as
they move it towards being good at something else.

Lex