[Problem]: Squeak won't come up under my Unix

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Sep 19 15:20:09 UTC 2001

>Not really. The programming I have to do for the math diploma is beginning
>to fall behind schedule, so I think I'll just go back to the wavelets right
>now and come back when I have more time for playing around.

Hello, Alexander -

Wavelets, did you say?  What are you doing with them?

Do you know that Squeak has primitive support for fast wavelet transforms?  See the class FWT which I transcribed from Mac Cody's articles in Dr. Dobbs.  Also, to teach myself, I wrote a speech compression codec that uses it to achieve 10:1 compression without sounding too bad.  See the class WaveletCodec.  So far, everything is one dimensional -- my main interest was sound.

	- Dan

(If this ends up saving you some time, perhaps you could get 1-, 2-, and 4- bit depths to work in X.  Much more fun ;-)