[Q] slow animated dashed lines/connectors

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Apr 19 16:02:53 UTC 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 03:02 am, Martin Drautzburg wrote:
> When you create a animated dashed line or connector e.g.
>         {10 . 5 . Color red . 0 . 3}
> and then clone it via the halo to apx 20 instances the UI becomes
> really sluggish. I believe Squeak redraws each line on each step,
> which is of course a lot of work.
>
> OTOH it changes only a few pixels on the screen so I thought maybe
> someone has an idea how one could speed this up.

Some questions:

How fast is your machine?

Do you find your machine as sluggish when using non-animated lines?

Are these smooth (curved) or segmented lines? The smooth lines take a
lot more computation to draw.

I believe, though, that you're right about repeated redrawing (this
isn't a Connectors problem as such; the PolygonMorph that's
responsible for drawing is stepping and refreshing).

I guess the reason I never tried to do anything about this is that I
find more than about one animated dashed line to be visually
annoying.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com