Squeak Install Instructions

Nancy Head head.n at mvumail.mivu.org
Thu Jul 10 12:02:50 UTC 2003

Matej,

You're very welcome.

I think you're exactly right that the "squeak" available via the squeakland
site is a plugin, as opposed to the "classical" squeak app/dev't
environment. The two sites are linked, though, and teachers (like me, or
with even less background) may unwittingly wander over to the squeak.org
site. For one thing, the tutorials and examples on the squeakland site are
very limited and the whole site is geared toward young children. (I'm
looking for "middle ground" for young teens.)

Alan Kay recently spoke at a large national educational technology
conference in the US, so there may be other teacher folks who wander into
the squeak site needing to understand the distinction between the two
different squeak.exe files (same name; same icon for both the
squeak.com/complete and squeakland.com/plugin versions).

Nancy