Generic Application Level Network Protocol Framework.

Eric Merritt cyberlync at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 29 19:10:16 UTC 2003

I have a need to develop an application level protocol
for a client server app I am working on. While I was
doing a little preliminary research I found a protocol
rfc and implementation called beep (used to be bxxp).
It provides a low level protocol upon which you can
build your own app level protocol. Basically it
provides a large majority of the common network
application for you.   Although I take some issue with
the direction taken by the beep designers, the idea is
quite good.

 In any case, has anyone thought of taking this route
in squeak? I searched the archives and didn't really
find anything specific. It seams that squeak reflects
the larger programming community in that everyone
designs and implements thier own protocol and network
server architecture. In any case, what do you guys
think of this approach to squeak? I am not talking
about implementing beep, just borrowing some of the
ideas behind it.

 I will probably end up writing the protocol and
network layers for this app. It may not be to much
more trouble to make it a bit generic and release it
to the community.