tiny VM

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Aug 7 21:38:50 UTC 2004

You might want to look at what we're doing in Slate (at
http://slate.tunes.org/) where we are currently working with a setup
such as this, with a minimal vm at 42kb and an image that can grow from
(literally) nothing (full image with bootstrap is about 4Mb currently),
and is C-embeddable. We have a more natural C-translation dialect than
Slang, but it is not quite Smalltalk-80, although you can use it to
create totally generic (non-Slate) C programs within certain limits.
Images can also be made with arbitrary Slate byte-compiled code. It's
not fully released yet (should be by tomorrow), but you can get a
starter from http://slate.tunes.org/downloads/alpha/ (the C sources
there are those generated from Slate code, and need extras from the
Slate distribution to build).

I'm sure Craig will pipe up about Squat, and rightly so, weighing in at
a 100kb VM and somewhere close to 100kb for a starting image that can
load other Squeak code over a trusted socket connection. He has
basically done all the class-removing that is feasible.