HTML documentation generator and cross reference

Aaron Gray angray at beeb.net
Sun Dec 5 06:59:54 UTC 2004

>> >  I guess somebody should ask this... but if your purpose is to get
>> > good cross refernces but nothing else, forget about going HTML.
>> >
>> >  Did you happen to notice the 'explain' menu item in the 'more...'
>> > menu of code panes?  select a "word" in the pane and choose the menu.
>> > It explains what it is, and even show how to get the "cross
>> > references" to the thing.
>>
>> Thanks, but I still prefer the HTML, that is very useful though.
>
>  Would you mind to tell my why?  Again, do you want to have a good
> cross-references when you are writing code, or there is some other
> requirement?

I am trying to understand the VM and System Compiler and find the browser
too fiddly to get the large picture.

The HTML generated by Dandelion looks great.

But I would also like to have the code outputted into .st files for reading
in a text editor. How can I do this ?

>  I just wondered what would be the HTML's advantage than more live
> and dynamic and language context aware "cross-referencing" features of
> Squeak development tools such as 'senders', 'implementors', 'inst var
> refs', 'inst var defs', and others.

The basic cross referencing problem I was to find which class a method
belonged to.

I am not too keen on the SmallTalk browser, I am used to programming using a
text editor, make, and 'flat' documentation.

A combination of both browser and HTML taking the best of both worlds is
probably the best approach though :)

Aaron