Squeak in college education

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 18 17:22:12 UTC 2004

Guys, don't let it slip by that Smalltalk *is* an excellent industrial
language.  Job ads are not the entirity of computer industry, and only a
small portion of programming is made up of following an order to build X
in language Y.  At some point, a successful graduate will have influence
on what platforms are used and on what, exactly, gets built.  We are not
talking about Scheme or Haskell here.  We are talking about a language
that did enterprise software before Java even existed.

Also, it is possible to *use* the fact that many of the impatient
students are just wanting validation.  Using a superior language can
actually satisfy some students' need to feel like they are a Real
Programmer, so long as the teacher is aware of the issue and
possibility.

-Lex