Going to 3.7 beta (was: [UPDATES] 34 for Squeak3.7alpha)

Timothy Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Jan 18 21:43:17 UTC 2004

On Jan 18, 2004, at 11:16 AM, Marcus Denker wrote:

> Am 17.01.2004 um 12:13 schrieb Alejandro F. Reimondo:
>
>> Hi Diego!,
>>
>>> - Move to 4.0 and not to 3.7.  The .changes files is huge! And, from
>>> the
>>> marketing POV, we have enough new features (babel, new look, ttf
>>> fonts,
>>> etc) to consider a "new" version.
>>
>> Will Version 4.0 include upgrades proposed in VI4 ?
>>  (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2119)
>>

> No. This stuff I *really* not simple. How can anybody think that
> something
> that complex could ever be added to squeak if we can't even get
> LargeLists
> reviewed?
>
> (And there are other aspects of VI4, e.g. what consequeces the design
> has for a jitter, and so on...)
Quickly, whilst I have net access...

The 'VI4' work referred to on that swiki page is emphatically not a
universally agreed designation or description of what a release 4.0
would be. Anthony's work is valuable, needed and will surely become
part of the system but it ain't 'Version 4.0 of Squeak'.

People have to remember that all of us working on Squeak are short of
time and most of us unpaid and trying to scrape a living. If you're
impatient, find some bloody money and start paying.

tim