[Nostalgia] Apple APDA Smalltalk-80

Davide Grandi davide.grandi at mclink.it
Sun Jan 18 22:45:12 UTC 2004

>Many, many years ago I purchased, for the princely sum of US$50,
>Apple's Smalltalk-80.  Someone at Apple, maybe Dan, tried to talk me
>out of it because the system was so "researchy".  Does anyone still
>have disks or disk images so that this could be run again in vMac or
>on and old Mac?
>
>Also, for the other software archeologists on the list, I still have
>running copies of Methods, ST/V 286, and ST/V Mac.
>
>-Dave

 From my "archive " :

Apple Smalltalk :
     V0.2 : 956k
     V0.3 : 760k
     V0.4 : 776k

The first one is "around" May 1986, courtesy by Apple Italy, and ran
only on a mac 512k/Plus with it's specially crafted system disk.
I bought the other two from the Apple and run until a Mac LC (and
LCIII, but I'm not sure, I was already using Objectworks for my
thesis).
The Apple version of Smalltalk is quite near to the "original"
edition that Xerox released to the outside developers.

In my "collection" (kept along 4 different Mac) I still have some
other environments :
- the Xerox DV6 that ran in a model 1186 Lisp machine (along with
"the Analyst" and "Humble" packages")
- the Tektronix Smalltalk that I used on a Tek 4405 workstation
- some other Digitalk environments for 286 and OS/2.

Best regards,

     Davide Grandi
--
Ing. David Grandi