OpenAL 1.1

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Fri Nov 4 00:35:46 UTC 2005

Mark P. McCahill wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2005, at 3:26 AM, karl wrote:
>
>> Brad Fuller wrote:
>>
>>> The Game Developers Conference ended this week and Creative
>>> discussed OpenAL 1.1. This new version includes some extensions that
>>> may be beneficial to me and potentially to others. In a previous msg
>>> Mark mentioned that OpenAL plugins have been made and are used in
>>> Croquet. I have a few questions:
>>>
>>> * How can Squeak users obtain the plugins and use it in our current
>>> images?
>>
>> There are several changesets in this folder
>> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/Jasmine/updates/
>> I think the main stuff are in
>> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/Jasmine/updates/0214OpenAL.cs
>>
>> The plugin in various platform versions is in
>> http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/NICT/install/
>>
>> I dont know how much massaging this is going to need file into a 3.8
>> image.
>> Karl
>
> If someone wants to try this, let me know. The developers here at the
> University of Minnesota will do what we can to help, but our main
> focus is Croquet.
>
>>> * How can OpenAL plugins be integrated into 3.9 to be available for
>>> all?
>>
> I'm still wondering what the process is to get things like this added.
>
>>> * Has there been any discussion regarding extending the plugins to
>>> OpenAL v1.1?
>>
> The interesting part of the press release said:
>
>    "The newly proposed OpenAL 1.1 specification will feature three
>     primary improvements over the current version: audio recording
>     functionality for use with in-game voice chat; an offset feature
>     that will allow developers finer control over audio playback;
>     and an additional volume fall off model that will save developers
>     effort in customizing their audio engine. OpenAL 1.1 will be
>     available for developers in summer 2005."
>
> Voice chat is something we deeply care about for the Croquet work we
> are doing. Right now, for live chat we are copying the bits that
> make up the audio more than we would like, and end up with more latency
> than is optimal. It would be nice if there was a squeak VM primitive
> that easily allowed for buffer objects optimized for being low-latency
> so we could hand pointers to the buffer to the OpenAL playback. We have
> been thinking about looking into this approach but are are not yet
> actively doing anything about it.  It sounds like there could be
> another approach in OpenAL 1.1, but I'm not clear on when that code
> will be available from the OpenAL people.

Hi Mark,

I just learned from Creative that version 1.1 for windows is out. Are
you aware?
Bob from apple indicated (on the OpenAL user list) that he has no target
date, but is currently working on the mac version.
No word yet on the Linux version.

Is your team still interested in updating to the 1.1 version? if so,
what's the status?

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124