Squeak Legal Entity Formation

Andrew Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Mon Mar 13 19:09:13 UTC 2006

Legal formation of a foundation such as Squeak-F is a relatively
simple problem, and doesn't really deserve much cognitive effort.
The bottom line is that you should get, and follow, the advice of
counsel and/or the accountant who is setting things up for you.  If
you are getting those services for free, it would be simply insane to
ask them to step out of their jurisdiction or comfort zone to
structure the corporation in some strange or new-fangled way.  Given
what I understand of Squeak-F goals, this is an absolutely routine
matter.  In the United States, modern and "uniform" corporate laws
make it less and less important in which state you organize.

In particular, if you are using free lawyers, don't ask them to
practice outside the country in which they are practicing, unless
there is a genuine issue that I don't understand.  The encryption
issue is simply not one of those.  If you, in fact, are exporting
into or out of any nation, it is probably of no consequence in which
nation you have organized -- you will be subject as a practical
matter to the customs and internet-related laws of that
jurisdiction.  Since Squeak-F will be resourceless in any legal
squabble as a matter of practice, follow the KISS rule.  We simply
can't afford, and are unlikely to benefit from, any complex legal
structure.

KISS.  Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good.
Organization is something that requires very little thought, and must
not become a hurdle.  Far more important is figuring out what it is
you want to do, and then doing it.

THE REAL QUESTION IS, AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN, TO DEFINE THE ENTITY'S
MISSION.  Organization is a formality.  Please don't ignore the
important issue for the trivial one.

P.S.: I read somewhere that IRS has been loathe to grant open source
NFP entities tax-exempt status.  My tax partner thought it was an
interesting question, but wondered aloud whether it made much
difference at all, since most prospective donors of import would be
able to write off the expense one way or the other, and most small
donors will not care much one way or the other.  As a practical
matter, does Squeak-F expect to do much grass roots fund-raising,
that you should particularly care?