3dot11?

Giovanni Corriga giovanni at corriga.net
Tue Jul 3 10:37:02 UTC 2007

Il giorno dom, 01/07/2007 alle 19.46 -0700, Jerome Peace ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> It is now July.
>
> While 3dot10 has not yet wrapped it is definitely in
> beta. So it is time to ask where and how is the 3dot11
> team being assembled?

I'd like to propose that instead of having another team replace the
current one, we just add a two or thre more people to the current team
(if Ralph and Edgar agree to stay on, of course).

This would have some advantages:
1) managing the image with Monticello is difficult at best. Having a new
release team for every version means that the team always has to relearn
the same tricks before it can start working proficiently on the new
release.
2) having a larger team would allow specialization in the release team.
One release team member could specialize in, say, devel tools, while
another one could specialize on file and network, etc.
3) having the release team serve for more than a single release
iteration would allow planning on a longer timespan and creating a
proper roadmap.

In light of point 3, I'd also like to suggest that when we start
planning for 3.11, we also start thinking about the release after 3.11
(3.12? 4.0?). As an example, the plan for 3.11 would include stuff that
it's likely we could add to the stable image in a single release
timeframe, while all the other stuff would be punted to 3.12 .

	Ciao,

		Giovanni