[squeak-dev] Re: Pharo:: Re: Cuis update

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 16 16:17:13 UTC 2009

Be`rto e"d Se`ra wrote:
> LOL Andreas... 99,999% of first-time users will NEVER fill a bug. They
> will go out and say "It's pure bullshit". :))))) Come on... we all do it
> ten times a day.

Sure we do. But since you've been hanging around for a while I'm holding
you to a higher standard ;-)

> As per myself... I discussed this thing on IRC a number of times, wrote
> about it here because under Win even directory paths prevent Squeak from
> working and all I got was the usual kind of thing you get from unstable
> Open Source stuff: not much really, but at least it didn't cost me a penny.

Many people are not on IRC (I for sure am not). But to the best of my
knowledge, all of these problems have been addressed. Your mail is a
perfect example for the problems though; since I don't have a russian
windows system I can't really test whether anything is broken! That's
why reporting these issues, even if briefly ("I just tried your latest
VM and it still seems to have problem x, y, or z") is so important.

> No probs, I switched OS and images until I found a configuration that
> works for what I need, but while I can use Squeak for development I
> surely don't plan to distribute it. It is self-evident that the
> community is currently too small to make a stable distro. I admire you
> all for what you are doing, and I will contribute as much as I can, but
> customers want things that do not break.

For sure. But friends help and let you know what's broken ;-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas