[squeak-dev] Re: Burn the Squeak Image! (Why I am running for board)

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sat Feb 28 17:23:56 UTC 2009

On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:56:54 +0100, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:19 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:55:38 +0100, David Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>  KernalImage doesn't have a GUI.
>>>

>> Here's a bit more background; Eliot is this headless enough?
>

> Yes, this looks good.  I would still prefer to go that little bit further
> and construct the core image from first principles, e.g. using John
> Maloney's MicroSqueak, as I described earlier in this thread.  But
> Pavel's
> headless core looks to me to be functionally the right starting point.
> In
> any case it can be used to derive the other images while the
> first-principles bootstrap is being built (if it doesn't exist already).
>
> Why go that "little bit further" and create the image from first
> principles?
>  Repeatability.

Agreed, repeatability, but the language of first principles is set to be
Smalltalk and their [principles] "imagination" is objects, so this sounds
a bit abstract, no?

> The the freedom to choose new object representations and
> bytecode sets, & hence Bootstrapping new languages like Newspeak is much
> easier.

Right, this was the reason that Moebius was born (formerly: CorruptVM):
have any pair of old and new representations interoperable, same for pairs
of old and new instruction sets.

> Hydra might benefit from pre-packaged minimal starting-points that can
> easily be tailored.

:)

--
"If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it".
Albert Einstein